This poetry idea was from Alex, one of my teacher friends. I love doing poetry with my class because of this poem in particular. I am reminded of their growing minds and their innocence. My students are 9-10 years old.
Student A: This little girl is a quiet achiever. And a real thinker.
I don't understand
why the world is in chaos
why the city is crowed
why my family sometimes argue
But most of all, I don't understand
why life can be challenging
why my mind is full of thoughts
why some things are not as they seem
What I understand most is
why I adore my teacher (I promise I didn't tell her to write this line! Haha!)
Why love can mend your soul
why God made us to love
(Can I get a collective "AWWWWWW!")
Student B: This little boy doesn't attend scripture class but you can tell he is incredibly inquisitive:
I don't understand
why time is so important
why we have to die
why I can get injured
But most of all, I don't understand
why the Earth is round
why humans can see and hear
why life goes on
What I understand most is
why some friendships last
why there is love
why things are not perfect
When I asked him to tell me why he thinks things are not perfect, he replied:" Because we're not perfect".
Student C: This little boy struggles with most school work, but I had the most interesting conversation with him about love after reading his poem:
I don't understand
why people have to fight
why wars start
why people swear
But most of all, I don't understand
why friendships break up
why people get mad for no reasons
why babies change so quickly
What I understand most is
how the world is made
why Pluto is no longer a planet
how people fall in love
When I asked him to explain how people fall in love, his answer was "When a man and a woman look at each other...and then they kiss". Lol. Hilarious!

No comments:
Post a Comment